Tip #1. What are the DMV requirements to earn your California driver’s license for anyone under 18 years old?
- Complete your Online 30 Hours of Driver’s Education
- Pass your knowledge test at the DMV (Appointment not required.)
- Complete 6 hours of professional behind-the-wheel driver training. (We will issue a training completion certificate.)
- Complete 50 hours of driving practice with an adult 25 years or older who has a valid California driver’s license and can certify the practice. A minimum of 10 of the 50 hours must be at night.
- Six months after receiving your permit or when you turn 18 (whichever happens first,) you can take the Behind the wheel test.
- We can make the arrangements or you can directly contact the DMV.
- For DMV driving test appointments: Call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Tip #2. Will the DMV certified instructor review what's in the DMV Handbook?
Our DMV certified coach will cover every question that you have. However, we still recommend that you prepare ahead of time to maximize your time. The DMV handbook is an excellent resource. One of the most common questions about the handbook is about lane lines. Here is a video to better illustrate the importance of lane lines.
Tip #3. What's on the DMV Test?
The DMV road test can be stressful if you are not prepared. Even experienced drivers can be frustrated and surprised. Our school will do our best to prepare and familiarize you with what’s on the DMV road test. Here is the DMV Sample Road Test Score Sheet with a list of recommended best practices. We recommend that you print this out and read through it carefully.
Tip #4. Will your instructor take me to take my road test at the DMV?
Yes! You can even take our car to take your test!
Here is the general process:
- Call our office to ensure availability if you already have a DMV appointment. (925)663-7483
- If you don’t already have a DMV appointment, call and we are happy to coordinate with our instructor’s availability and book the appointment for you.
- Book a vehicle for the DMV behind-the-wheel test with us.
- Our instructor will pick you up one hour ahead of the DMV Road Test to practice, then take you to take the test. You may use our vehicle for the test. We will provide documentations on our vehicle.
- Pass the Road Test and celebrate!
Tip #5. What should I learn about Vehicle Insurance?
Since you will be driving a vehicle, it is important to learn about vehicle insurance policies and insurance terminology. These terms are not on the test, but they are essential concepts in general.
Tip #6. What are the main driving skills taught during lessons? How do parents keep track of their children's progress?
We cover and assess the following important driving skills: Car Familiarity, Steering, Acceleration, Braking, Scanning, Left Turns, Right Turns, Following Distance, Changing Lanes, Blind Spots, Interstate Driving, Straight Line Reverse, Parallel Parking. These driving skills are tracked in your account’s Report Card. We also offer Refresher courses for folks who have not driven for a while or are unfamiliar with driving in the US. Please discuss your driving needs with the driving instructor.
Tip #7. Can you describe Accident Avoidance?
Tip #8. Should I learn Defensive Driving?
Our driving coaches are experts in their field and they incorporate defensive driving techniques in their lessons. Defensive driving is an essential skill. Although, it is not explicitly listed on the DMV test, defensive driving and accident avoidance techniques have ensured high passing rates for the DMV driving test.
Tip #9. Before my appointment, is there anything that I can do to prepare for my driving lesson?
If we can choose one driving skill to study before your lesson, we would recommend reviewing the mechanics of lane changes. Don’t worry, we’ll cover lane changes in detail during your lesson. Here is an overview:
About Booking Lessons With Our Driving School
How do I book lessons?
After you enroll, you will receive a welcome email from Drivescout. It comes with your online login credentials. You will use this information to log on to your portal and schedule lessons there. You can cancel lessons and view report cards on the same portal.
What is your cancellation policy?
Once you’ve enrolled in the 6-hours behind-the-wheel program, we do not offer refunds. If we show up at your door and you are not available for lessons, we charge $50 to cover for the loss lesson. Please plan carefully and avoid last minute changes or cancellations. Our instructors do their best to prepare for the lessons and come pick you up in a timely manner. We want to provide you great service but must enforce our cancellation policy. Lessons are non-refundable. To cancel a lesson, login into your Deluxe Driving School DriveScout account, select View/Cancel Sessions, then click the Session to cancel. If you need assistance, please email or call us.
If I need to cancel a driver training appointment, how much notice must I give to avoid being charged the $50 late cancelation fee?
Please cancel a lesson as soon as you know you can’t make it so others have a chance to schedule that lesson. Cancel a lesson at least two days prior to avoid a last-minute cancellation fee. There is a $50 fee for no-show.
How do I book lessons?
Once you register and pay, you will get a welcome email from Drivescout with login credentials. You will then log in to Drivescout to schedule lessons. You can use Drivescout to cancel and reschedule lessons too.
Do you issue the CA DMV Certificate of Completion for 6 Hours of Behind the Wheel?
YES. After completing six hours of Behind the Wheel training, the instructor will provide a Certificate of Completion for 6 Hours of Behind the Wheel (Gold Certificate) to the student.
What if I lose my enrollment certificate or completion certificate?
We charge $25 to replace a certificate. We can mail it to you.
If you need more information, contact us (925) 663-7483.